by students in Multimedia Studies at Tin Can Bay P-10 State School
Tin Can Bay was once called tun-kin (aboriginal
word for dugong), other names include; Tin-Kin (big fish) and Tindhin
(mangroves), Tuncunba - "ba" meaning "place of" and "Tuncun" meaning
"Dugong" or "plenty of tucker".
- The township
was known as Wallu and changed to Tin Can Bay
in 1937 (also known as Toolara).
- Dugong processing
was the first industry in Tin Can Bay (1850s).
came the Timber industry; Sim and Pettigrew laid the Kaloolah railway
to transport timber to Maryborough.
the turn of the century, Tin Can Bay still had no permanent settlement.
township started with the sale of 25 blocks in 1922, for a sum of 40
pounds each. However, by 1929 Tin Can Bay was still a backwater with
only three permanent residents.
first shop in Tin Can Bay was built in 1932 by Viv Mason. At this time
the town had 35 permanent residents.
Can Bay school was built in 1935.
Qld Fishboard Tin Can Bay market opened in 1945.
Can Bay was a holiday spot and port until 1957 when it boomed due to
the discovery of banana prawns, by Fred Langford, in the Sandy Straits
(worth up to 2 shillings each